Congratulations to our 4th and 5th grade Academic Team and their success at the KAAC Regional Governor’s Cup competition on March 22nd!!!!! This is a state competition in which our students competed against other Fayette County students.
The day was a HUGE success for Meadowthorpe students. In a true team effort the Mustangs brought home the Championship trophy winning first place in Fayette County.
Congratulations to the following students and their medal accomplishments:
- Lohith Tummula: 1st place Science and Math
- Dylan Li: 2nd Place Mathematics
- Angela Sun: 5th Place Science and 3rd Place Arts & Humanities
- Pedro Storch: 1st Place Language Arts
- Erin Stratton: 4th Place Language Arts
- Malharr Nair: 1st Place Social Studies
- Sitara True: 3rd Place Composition
- Future Problem Solving: 1st Place- Jake Waits, Rob Gilligan, Jack Clements, Emily Wang and Sarah Ming
- Quick Recall: 2nd Place: Juliann Hyatt, Rob Gilligan, Dylan Li, Malharr Nair, Jake Waits, Lohith Tummala, Robert Preston Mullins, Dominic Verry and Max Carlson.
WAY TO GO TEAM
We had a successful day Saturday at our District Governor’s Cup competition!! We won first place in Quick Recall, first place in FPS and first place champions overall. Here is how the students scored individually...
Math: Dylan Li (1st), Angela Sun (2nd) and Lohith Tummala (3rd)
Science: Angela Sun (1st), Dylan Li (2nd) and Lohith Tummala (3rd)
Social Studies: Malhaar Nair (1st), Juliann Hyatt (2nd)
Language Arts: Erin Stratton (1st), Pedro Storch (2nd), and Connor Foley (3rd)
Arts & Humanities: Malhaar Nair (1st), Angela Sun (2nd) and Juliann Hyatt (3rd)
Composition: Sitara True (1st), Dallas Rager (2nd) and Erin Stratton (3rd)
FPS: Rob Gilligan, Jack Clements, Emily Wang and Jake Waits (1st).
All these students will advance to Regionals on March 22nd and will need to continue to attend practice on Wednesday afternoons. If you can help to proctor (supervise test takers) please let me know.
Way to go team!!!!
The Meadowthorpe Academic Team has been the overall winner in the Regional in 2003, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013!
Calling All 4th & 5th Graders
What: Governor’s Cup Academic Team
When: Wednesday, October 23rd
Where: Meadowthorpe Elementary School
2012-2013 Academic Team
Ms. Fister & Mr. Chesnes
The Academic Team was recognized at the Fayette County Board Meeting on Monday, April 28th for winning the Governor's Cup.
WAY TO GO MUSTANGS! Check out the 2013 Governor's Cup results here! Congratulations on a great season!
ACADEMIC TEAM IN A NUTSHELL
Here at Meadowthorpe School we have an Academic Team and Future Problem Solving Team for our fourth and fifth graders. Our guidelines are governed by Kentucky Association for Academic Competition. More information can be found at http://www.kaac.com
Our Academic Team consists of several different categories:
Quick Recall: Similar in concept to the television “Jeopardy”. Students answer questions based on Kentucky core content. Team members use a buzzer system and try to beat the clock and the opposing team with the correct answer.
Written Tests: Written assessment features examinations in five content areas:
- Social Studies
- Arts and Humanities
- Language Arts
Composition: Students complete on demand writing activities. They may be asked to write a personal narrative or defend a position.
Future Problem Solving: This is a four person team that participates in a six-step problem solving process to solve complex scientific and social problems of the future. Seeks to increase awareness for the future and encourages creativity in students. This team of students will have an extra practice session each week.
Meadowthorpe will participate in:
- Quick Recall scrimmages against other Fayette County Schools. There will then be a Fayette county Quick Recall competition.
- Governor’s Cup District and Regional Competition
About this page
- Author: Andrea Richardson
- Updated: Friday, March 28, 2014